Thursday, August 26, 2010

The fine art of forgiveness is it possible ?

Do rigid and narrow interpretations of the rules contribute to the breaking of the rules?  Food for thought. -what makes law abidding people do bad things?  Interesting read
 
Corporate America -- No Place for Ex-Offenders  Lindsey Novak

Q: I had a good job for nearly all my life, until I made a mistake that landed me in jail. My wife left me and took my child. I felt my world had exploded, and I became angry and depressed. I wrote a lot of threatening things to her, but I would not have done anything. I know this was stupid, but I had an unloaded gun in my car and was arrested on a weapons charge. I got some bad advice from my lawyer and took a plea bargain. I served my time and have a felony on my record. I had never had any trouble with the law before this happened. I want to be a contributing member of society again; I want to work but have not been able to get another job. Because I have no income, the court now wants to put me in jail for not paying child support.
I always have been a law-abiding citizen and a productive part of society, and I know I have and want to fulfill my obligation to my child. Unfortunately, society won't let me work, and I've become more and more depressed. I did not hurt anyone, nor would I have.
Our society is pushing people to do the wrong thing. I am a good person, and I want to do the right thing. I would relocate anywhere for a job; I would join the Army willingly, but I am not even allowed to do that. What is left for me to do?
 
A: It is ironic that in our supposedly "Christian" society, people who should be willing to forgive and forget are not willing to forgive at all. Somewhere back in time, that one-too-many-lawsuit pushed corporate America over the line and shut down the potential for forgiveness. It then became too threatening and too risky for corporations to extend themselves and to take chances on what they considered high-risk employees; hence, we have policies that disallow ex-offenders jobs. The greater irony is that the violence that has come about in the workplace usually is caused by a quiet, law-abiding person's being pushed over the edge and exploding, with no one foreseeing or helping to deter the upcoming outbreak. The rigid corporate policies, the pushing out of longtime employees, the favoritism, the retaining of unfit and insensitive managers, and the zero tolerance for personal problems (not to mention overseas outsourcing) all have contributed to this current state of affairs.

--
Hollecrest & Associates Inc   -"Turnaround Consultants" http://www.ic.gc.ca/ccc/search/cp?l=eng&e=123456239975 .


Back to Eden communities
 Sunridge -261 Oakhill Drive, Brantford
 backtoeden.ontario@gmail.com
www.backtoeden.bravehost.com
"Building elder peer communities that are cozy,caring and comfortable" -quality 24/7 care

No comments: