Sunday, May 02, 2010

Peter Pans Is it time to grow up

Certainly Hollywood and the media have popularized and glorified the youth culture. And yet at the root of this "madness" is a growing lack of personal responsibility. Too many of us adults play the blame-game refusing to accept responsibility for the mistakes we make and what we personally contribute to our failures, especially in the area of relationships.

Then there is politics and their blame-game seeking to get votes at pretty much any cost. If business is bad, it's the other party that's to blame. If people are not getting the handouts they want, then again, it's the other party's fault. It's a sad state of affairs when the politicians who offer the most handouts get the most votes—instead of the politicians who stand for justice, right, personal responsibility, and the good of all the citizens and the nation as a whole.

And if we adults don't accept personal responsibility and grow up, what can we expect of our kids?

The reality is that I and only I am responsible for my life. True, I was not responsible for a less than perfect upbringing, but I am totally responsible for what I become. I may even "have been a victim in the past, but if I remain one, I am now a willing volunteer." Furthermore, while I am not responsible for the circumstances that are out of my control, I am totally responsible for my attitude and for what I do about my situation.

Blaming others for the problems I have, and expecting others to resolve my problems for me, is a handy excuse to hang on to if I don't want to grow up.

--

No comments: